Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Happy Pancake Day

Potato pancakes to be exact .... otherwise known as latke...latka...placki...duruny...draniki...

Whatever you want to call them they make a great little base for a meal.

Eat them plain or with sourcreme on top.... spice them up with salsa or hot sauce .....

Fry an egg and put it on top .... or go with a full ham/bacon .... egg and whatever!



When I was a kid My Mom used to use them instead of bread for a hot roast beef/pork sandwich... special treat ... just for me. Beef off the roast ... piled high .... smothered in gravy .... big sides of slaw and preserves.... :b

I saw one of those TV chefs use them for the bottom of an Eggs Benedict. ... and smoked salmon snacks.

There are many different ways to make them ... here's mine:

Small Batch (Serves two OR one hungry guy) = two large russet pototos > shredded. Just use more spuds if you want more.
You can wash the potato shreds in cold water and rinse the starch off if you like.
Do this and then dry them before adding other ingredients.

I just sprinkle a little flour on top in a mixing bowl - flour makes them thicker and not so crisp. Not a lot just a bit it make it bind...

Add a tablespoon of oil .... dried onion flakes (or shredded or finely chopped onion)- salt - pepper - a tablespoon of baking powder - an egg - a half a coffee cup of water ....

Beat it all together with a spatula .... then add some minced garlic - finely cut green onion.

Heat up a non-stick pan and put a tablespoon of oil in .... then drop a large spoonful of your batter ( I like to make them anywhere from 3 to 5 inches across and flat as I can).

Try one at first to get the timing down and the golden brown on both sides result.
Test for seasoning and add salt or pepper as required.

Once you think your ready ... start doing three at a time ....

I like to keep the oven hot at 375 f and I put the whole batch in when they are all ready .... lay them out flat on a sheet or tray ..... takes about 10 minutes to finish them off nice.

OMMAG

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

k I'll be right over for some latkes! .Have a beautiful night my friend..:)

3/08/2011 9:30 p.m.  
Blogger Gino said...

me too.
ok, so its a long drive, so give me about 3 days.

3/08/2011 11:50 p.m.  
Blogger OMMAG said...

Ya know that I'd be happy to make abatch for company.........

3/09/2011 7:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home