That Sinking Feeling
Well it now seems that at least a few well heeled investors have decided that it is a good place to build luxury resort hotels.
At least 30 Hotels to built in "Sinking Maldives"
It turns out that Nasheed has figured out an Al Gore like environment scam, a cash generating machine of the first order.
- A native population of about 394 thousand and a dependency rate of bout 50%
- An available land mass of 298 sq km.
- Exports about $280 million and imports about $1.4 billion with a foreign debt of $890 million.
- Now hosting more than a million tourists per year (presumably due to all the flap doodle over "sinking").
- Nasheed brags that the Maldives can handle many more.
- There are 200 populated islands in the atoll plus 80 islands that are tourist resorts.
- There are currently 9 airports, 7 with paved landing strips.
- There are 88 km of road (no data on paved vs unpaved), crushed coral seems to be the material of choice.
- There is ONE marine port (Male)
- Native water consumption is 18,444 liters per year per person for all uses.
- Native fresh water aquifers are depleting and being contaminated.
- There is not enough water to support the current native population let alone an expanded demand from development and tourism.
- 100% of all materials for development are imported.
- Power consumption is up proportionally with the surging demands to support the tourist services and the construction taking place.
- The only source of electrical power is petroleum fueled generators.
- Non existent environmental protection standards.
- Still demanding payola from UN for the presumed environmental sins of the developed world.
- Additional - Forced labour and human trafficking:
(from the CIA World Factbook)
Labels: Self Serving Hypocrisy