Wednesday, May 09, 2007

On Would Be Parenting Hipsters - Because It's Hump Day!

I caught a bit on the TV news about this guy Neal Pollack and his book " AlternaDad: The True Story of One Family's Struggle to Raise a Cool Kid in America.

I was intrigued by the catchy title and followed the interview a bit until Pollack had this to say:
" I'm going to do my best to see that my son does not have the traditional American childhood experience." Or something to that effect!

Now I do not have a problem with that idea at all but there was something else in his ongoing comments that got me thinking about it.

Isn't it the Kids who ultimately define what's the viewpoint of "Cool" for themselves?
Isn't it the next generation that seeks to define themselves?
Isn't it the natural order of things to see the youth of the nation move away from what they see as the constriction imposed by their parents?
Is being cool really a good thing to base your moral foundation and world view on?

Now, I have not read this guy's book and maybe there is a lot of honest effort on his part to raise a responsible person who is capable of making adult decisions based on reason and some sort of moral foundation. But I do not get any sense of that from what Pollack had to say!

So I've been looking around to find out what it's all about and came up with this interesting article: From Austin Momma

The more I look into it the more it seems to me that Neal Pollack is too interested in his own image and shallow world view to even understand the fundamental need of children to be raised with structure and moral guidance in their lives. As bad a parent as the authoritarian dogmatic adult might be I think that the "Hipster" is in danger of creating a whole new level social misfit.
Kids always do seem to have a way of coming out just fine regardless of the best intentions of misguided parents however so maybe it's not too much to hope for.

I'm going to give Mr. Pollack and all other supposed hipster parents a special Wednesday award for being selfish and stupid! Wednesday is Hump Day and you are today's Hump!

Oh! By the way hipsters - 100% of the language you use, the POV you espouse and the style you put on is derived from the 1950's - That's MY Day man and you are truly a group of uncool and unoriginal posers. You're still copying other generations Music, Ideas and fashion without adding anything new! You are the children of the Boomers so it's probably difficult to understand how your so lame but you could try a little harder NOT to be categorically ignorant.

OMMAG



Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

New Dad writer, trying to reinvent the wheel.

"the fundamental need of children to be raised with structure and moral guidance in their lives."

I wholeheartedly agree.

5/09/2007 3:42 p.m.  
Blogger Nathan Giesbrecht said...

Ha! My mom wanted to name me Pierre Elliot after, well you can guess. At the time she thought it would be really cool too. Thank God dad stopped her in time.

5/09/2007 5:39 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good one ND:

I don't wear moonboots anymore either ;)

5/09/2007 6:30 p.m.  
Blogger OMMAG said...

Thank God for that!

5/09/2007 8:43 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home