Sunday, November 11, 2007

Remembering!

November 11th 200? - Remember

What do you need to remember?
I have my list. It consists of my family and my friends. It also includes those faces and images from my past that mean tradition to me.
There are the images of the gatherings at our small town Cenotaph Memorial. The monument stood proudly on the main street of our town. It was built at the end of the first world war and was enscribed with the names of our own fallen neighbours. Set in middle of town the park that surrounded the memorial was treed with majestic elms and maples. There was a band stand in the middle of the park that provided shelter for musicians at summer brass concerts.

Mostly I remember the stern instructions from my parents prior to our walk to the memorial each November 11th morning. Be respectfull they said. Show your friends and neighbours that you care about what they have lost and how they feel. Remember that many people gave up their own lives to ensure that you can stand here as a free person. Remember that you live in a country of hope and opportunity and that is so because of the sacrifice of others. Remember that by showing your public respect for the diginity and honour of those sacrifices that diginity and respect is reflected back on you.

I was not there in the horror of war. I did not experience the terror or the blood or the pain. I did not struggle in the filth and cold. But I do remember to respect that someone did.

I hope you will stop today and remain silent and motionless with a thought of respect for these things.

OMMAG

Labels: ,

Link

1 Comments:

Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

Amen my friend.!..Blessed Veterans Day! :)

11/12/2007 8:13 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home