Friday, December 21, 2007

Friday Nights Beer !

Bumped from Thursday Night!


Well actually it's Thursday Night and I'm doing this because last week was a washout due to a miserable head cold that required liquor.



However tonight is A o K or should I say O A K? or O A B ... as In
Oak Aged Beer!


It's Innis & Gunn's Product from Edinburgh Scotland and I'm a bit tickled to have found this.

The brew comes in a clear glass bottle ( Yep We Know About Clear Glass so Caveat Emptor friends!) It's 33o ml and 6.6 abv.
A beautiful still and clear gold ( although the maker calls it Red) in the bottle until you pop the top. There's no drama in the opening but this bottle came alive with effervescence once the restriction was removed.

Pouring neatly into the glass it becomes a bit more lively and produces a nice bubbled head that soon reduces to lace but maintains its character with stead streams of energy from the bottom.

The first whiff was a pleasant bit of the caramel scented malts and citrus like hops.
For some reason after standing a bit the malted aroma retreats a bit and the hops override .... still very nice.

Once on the tongue the malts come back as sugary and sweet with a creamy feel in the mouth that lingers after the swallow leaving a kind of teaser aftertaste that begs for more.

I don't really get any sense of the oaking at first like you do from whiskey or oaked wines but a general smoothness and a comforting combination of sensations.

You could call this Mother's Milk.

After a while though the whiskey barrel flavours begin to collect on the pallet and the after taste becomes slightly reminiscent of a single malt. I could see myself getting piggish with this beer.

All in all a very well rounded beverage with lots of personality and interesting things to tell you.

I rate this beer a solid nine out of ten. It would be good with your favorite meals or just by itself.
At about $4 Cad. though you better pace yourself.

Cheers! We're off to a party and home later with a whole bunch of girls from Mrs. OMMAG's work.... pictures at 11:00

OMMAG

Labels: ,

Link

6 Comments:

Blogger Lost Johnny said...

I had to give my head a shake, I was thinking it was Friday all today.

Got a pot of coffee brewing and the Steelers and Rams on the tube, and I'm digging out the basement to make it presentable for company that's coming this weekend.

Still have to do ALL my Christmas shopping.....

12/20/2007 7:29 p.m.  
Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

Cheers Ommag!..drink up!

12/20/2007 9:15 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't say I'm a big fan of that stuff. If I want to drink whiskey (and I rarely do) I'll drink whiskey.

12/21/2007 8:59 a.m.  
Blogger OMMAG said...

Shere - good luck with that eh!
Angel - Cheers to you too...
thisguy -- I hear you man ... but I didn't find the beer to be overly seasoned with the oak whiskey essence. Although I won't be buying it all the time I think a couple of bottles in the cabinet is worthwhile.
Just for sharing with friends.
I really did enjoy it.

12/21/2007 9:17 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMMAG keep an eye out for the Innis and Gunn 2007 special edition oak aged IPA...they also have a special limited edition of this OAB available...I have extras stored both for trades in case you don't see any.

http://tinyurl.com/2deg3d
http://tinyurl.com/2dpe6y

cheers and happy holidays

WLM

12/23/2007 4:55 p.m.  
Blogger OMMAG said...

Thanks Redux!
I'll raise a glass to you today!
Cheers!

12/24/2007 1:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home