Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Fixing The MSM - Start by Understanding What's Wrong!

The Link is The Title! Use it.........

Highlights from : The Media Is in Need of Some Mending
By PETER R. KANN
December 11, 2006

In the Democracy Project a short examination of what's wrong in the MSM.
Some Highlighted Topics:

-The blurring of the lines between journalism and entertainment.
-The blurring of lines between news and opinion.
-The blending of news and advertising, sponsorships or other commercial relationships.
-The problems and pitfalls inherent in pack journalism.
-The issue of conflict and context.
-The exaggerated tendency toward pessimism.
-The growing media fascination with the bizarre, the perverse and the pathological -- John -Mark Karr journalism.
-Social orthodoxy, or political correctness.
-The media's short attention span.
-The matter of power.

Observations that I have been making for years and nicely summarized by a pretty smart guy!

My favorite quote: "I deplore the putrid state into which our newspapers have passed, and the malignity, the vulgarity and the mendacious spirit of those who write them." Thomas Jefferson

Kudos to Kate at SDA..and a happy b'day too!
OMMAG



Labels: , ,

Link

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hiya Ommag..well I guess thats what bloggers are now for..sifting and truth telling..shame the Leftstream Media has sunk so low!

12/13/2006 5:30 p.m.  
Blogger OMMAG said...

Shame......indeed!

12/13/2006 8:13 p.m.  
Blogger Mac said...

Great article!

Beta-Blogger wouldn't allow me to post here until I registered for a Google account. Damn Google has too many fingers in too many pies... and they filter strongly to the left, both in searchs and news.

12/14/2006 3:06 p.m.  
Blogger OMMAG said...

I know ...I was miffed at the change of rules myself.

Google is using it's influence in ways that are not in the public interest....benign oligarchy is tending to malignant force of oppression............maybe!

Maybe time to get my own website!

12/14/2006 3:29 p.m.  
Blogger Mac said...

If I was more active, I might consider doing up a website but I'm a slacker.

12/14/2006 11:48 p.m.  
Blogger Mac said...

Back to original subject, according to OfficiallyScrewed.com's blog, the Red Star of Toronto is reorganizing and firing 85 bodies due to loss of advertising revenue. Given the quality (or lack thereof) journalism they've been churning out, I can't say I'm disappointed.

12/20/2006 11:43 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home