Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Rise and Decline of Education

An Op-Ed from the New York Times looks at the trends in attainment in our education systems over the last century. Yes I know that it's the USA he is talking about specifically .... but the same problems and conditions apply to Canada.

The Biggest Issue Looks at how these trends impact our future.....

Why did the United States become the leading economic power of the 20th century? The best short answer is that a ferocious belief that people have the power to transform their own lives gave Americans an unparalleled commitment to education, hard work and economic freedom.

I've been saying the same thing for years and the plain truth of the matter is that so many of my own generation were happy to set their children up for failure.
With the willing help of meddling nurse nanny social engineers using YOUR money and your children to test out their half baked theories of "Progressive" education coupled with the never ending mantra of the "Entitlement" culture ... we have seen our educational institutions gutted from the inside and the outside.

The failures are NEVER about money and educational costs ... they are ALL about misplaced priorities and the intrusion of ideologies into what should be a clear and uniform process.

Want to know who's to blame?

Look in the mirror.

With a H/T to yargb.com (Flares Into Darkness)


OMMAG

Labels: , , ,

Link

6 Comments:

Blogger Marginalized Action Dinosaur said...

Look in the mirror.


You bastard!

:)


Hey I try to over come that progressive mindset.

7/30/2008 4:58 p.m.  
Blogger talnik said...

Dammit OMMAG, it's not MY generation. It's my brother's. He's four years older than I am.

7/30/2008 8:07 p.m.  
Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

Want to know who's to blame?

Look in the mirror.
Much needed slap in the face...bravo!

7/30/2008 10:52 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it really depends on where you live.

As a parent in Winnipeg I can say that I am thrilled with the public school system in my neighborhood. My youngest in elementry has wonderful teachers that I am thrilled are part of her life and my oldest just starting high school will have access to a variety of programs like performing arts, band, sports teams, and clubs that I never had as a child.

But I understand that not everyone is a lucky as I am, and that many schools have an assortment of problems.

7/31/2008 10:52 a.m.  
Blogger OMMAG said...

My experience overall has been less than what I expected and hoped for.

Two children have gone through the system and while there have been a few bright lights in the teachers the overall value of how they were taught leaves a lot to be desired.

Most frustrating of all is that I had to struggle to impart ANY sense of pride in their work. A clear result of the constant affirmation they received for little effort and overall LOW expectations communicated to them in the school system.

7/31/2008 11:06 a.m.  
Blogger omega said...

I'm sorry, these problems have been present for a very long time.

The inapplicable ideals you support are the ones that have resulted in education becoming what it is today. I will agree with you that it is flawed and teachers have become desensitized to their work. But it is not because everything has turned into your impression of a big cuddle.

Many people finishing in high school will tell you that the reason why it is failing is because of money-focus. It is because of a lack of dedication - a progressive nature.
Some of the brightest minds I know are out there becoming doctors and musicians because of a progressive education that frowned upon structure and indifference.

You mistakenly identify benevolence as entitlement, assuming a persona for others that is unfair and reductionist.

For the sake of your example: The Americans built their seemingly apparent success on poverty and the backs of other nations.
They still don't lead in many of the markets they participate in either. Now that the world economy is upon us, their insular structure and greed are revealing their warts.

What the Americans are going through however is a lack of viable, domestic social & economic policies.
What they are now is burned out. Let's hope Canada doesn't turn into the same mess of chest beating apes.

Being progressive today and being competitive are learning that we are social creatures for a reason. Those values do not have to come at the cost of wealth, but if you value that above all else - what does that say about you?

I have everything I want and I still care for others around me. Free market idealism is a case of very narrow shoulders.

8/02/2008 4:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home